Safety Do's and Don'ts

Candle flame
  • Always put candles on a heat resistant surface. Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic.

  • Always put your candles or wax melts on a stable surface to prevent any accidents.

  • Position them away from curtains. Don’t put naked flames near curtains or other fabrics – or furniture. And keep them out of draughts to keep the flame burning upright.

  • Don’t put them under shelves. It’s easy to forget that there’s a lot of heat above a burning candle. If you put it under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface. Make sure there’s at least one meter (three feet) between a candle and any surface above it

  • Keep clothes and hair away. If there’s any chance you could lean across a candle and forget it’s there, put it somewhere else. You don’t want to set fire to your clothes or your hair

  • Keep children and pets away. Candles should be out of reach of children and pets

  • Keep candles apart. Leave at least 10cm (four inches) between two burning candles

  • Don’t move them when they’re burning. Extinguish candles before moving them. Also, don’t let anything fall into the hot wax like match sticks

  • Let your candle cool down before moving it - the container can get hot sometimes.

  • Don’t leave them burning alone or unattended. Extinguish candles before you leave a room. Never go to sleep with a candle still burning. And never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child’s bedroom

  • Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out. It’s safer than blowing them, which can send sparks and hot wax flying

  • Double check they’re out. Candles that have been put out can go on shouldering and start a fire. Make sure they’re completely out.

  • Lastly, an obvious one but just to make sure .... some of the scents we use will smell good enough to eat ... most definitely don't do that and make sure children aren't tempted. Aside from the fact that you will be hugely disappointed by the mouthful of wax you'll have ... the contents of the candle are not safe for consumption and will not be good for you.

For more information see the candle safety advice given by the fire service HERE